top of page

ElECTRIC Karmann Ghia Project


Engine Problems 

Later that year we took the Ghia over the mountains to Leavenworth. On the trip back the engine started hesitating. The car was still running, but performance was poor and intermittent. We tried a bunch of things before finding the actual cause of the problems. One of the valve adjustment screws had it's head sheered off. I know now that I should have checked the valves first but I didn't then and had mucked with the timing, and rebuilt the carb and whole slew of other things that even after replacing the screw the car didn't run the same. The question we kept asking was how much more money and effort did we want to put into the engine when we were just going to replace it all anyway. 

valve adjustment.jpg
bottom of page